Nicholas M. Kunda, MD
Nicholas M. Kunda, MD, is one of a select few surgeons throughout the country who has received formal training in General Surgery, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, and Hand & Upper Extremity Surgery. He is passionate about combining the art and science of surgical innovation to provide his patients with natural-looking results.
Dr. Kunda was born and raised on Long Island. He graduated from Arizona State University with a Bachelor’s of Science in Biochemistry and minors in Business and Psychology. He went on receive his Doctor of Medicine from St. James School of Medicine.
Dr. Kunda completed a General Surgery Residency at the University of Illinois at Chicago - MGH. There, he was the recipient of many awards, including being named Resident Teacher of the Year twice. In addition, Dr. Kunda was awarded a full scholarship through Advocate-Aurora Healthcare for a year-long Research Fellowship at the University of Illinois at Chicago Department of Surgery.
Dr. Kunda went on to complete a Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Residency at the Stony Brook University/Nassau University Medical Center Program, serving as Chief Resident during his final year. Lastly, he completed an additional year of training as a Hand & Upper Extremity Surgery Fellow at Stony Brook University Hospital.
Dr. Nicholas M. Kunda is board certified by the American Board of Surgery. He has numerous peer-reviewed publications and has presented his research at national meetings throughout the country. Dr. Kunda specializes in aesthetic surgery of the face and body, general plastic and reconstructive surgery in adults and pediatric patients, surgery of the upper extremities, peripheral nerve surgery, and complex abdominal wall reconstruction.
Dr. Kunda is currently on staff at the following hospitals:
- North Shore University Hospital
- Long Island Jewish Medical Center
- Long Island Jewish Valley Stream
- Long Island Jewish Forest Hills
- South Shore University Hospital
- Glen Cove Hospital
- Plainview Hospital
- Syosset Hospital
- NYU Langone Hospital - Long Island
- Mercy Hospital
- Francis Hospital
- Joseph Hospital
- Sinai - South Nassau Hospital
In addition to his clinical appointments, Dr. Kunda maintains affiliations with the following professional societies:
- Associate Fellow - American College of Surgeons
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- American Association for Hand Surgery
- Zhao K, Rodriguez E, Liao C, Kunda N, George F: Complications following Alloplastic Chin Augmentation: A Systematic Review of Implant Materials and Surgical Techniques. Ann Plast Surg. 2023 Feb 20
- Economou G, Kunda N, Eberlin K, Valerio I, Agrawal, N: The Potential of Transexamic Acid Use for Wide Awake Local Anesthesia No Tourniquet. Plast Recons Surg Global Open. 2022 Oct 27; 10(10): e4630
- Kone LB, Kunda N, Tran TB, Maker AV: Surgeon-Placed Continuous Wound Infusion Pain Catheters Markedly Decrease Narcotic Use and Improve Outcomes After Pancreatic Tumor Resection. Ann Surg Oncol. 2020;10.1245
- Saini S, Sripada L, Tulla K, Kumar P, Yue F, Kunda N, Maker AV, Prabhakar BS: MADD Silencing Enhances Anti-Tumor Activity of TRAIL in Anaplastic Thyroid Cancer. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2019 Jun 1;26(6):551-563
- El Khoury R, Kunda N, Keldahl ML: Endovascular Treatment of a Penetrating Injury of the Suprarenal Inferior Vena Cava. J Vasc Surg Venous Lymphat Disord. 2019 Mar; 7(2): 247-250
- Saini S, Sripada L, Tulla K, Kumar P, Yue F, Kunda N, Maker AV, Prabhakar BS: Loss of MADD Expression Inhibits Cellular Growth and Metastasis in ATC. Cell Death Dis. 2019 Feb 13;10(2): 145
- Qin J, Kunda N, Qiao G, Tulla K, Prabhakar BS, Maker AV: Vaccination with Mitoxantrone-treated Primary Colon Cancer Cells Enhances Tumor-Infiltrating Lymphocytes and Clinical Responses in Colorectal Liver Metastases. J Surg Res. 2019 Jan;233:57-64.
- Qin J, Kunda N, Qiao G, Calata J, Pardiwala K, Prabhakar BS, Maker AV: Colon Cancer Cell Treatment with Rose Bengal Generates a Protective Immune Response via Immunogenic Cell Death. Cell Death Dis. 2017 Feb 2;8(2):e2584
- Qiao G, Qin J, Kunda N, Calata J, Mahmud D, Gann PH, Fu YX, Rosenberg SA, Prabhakar BS, Maker AV: LIGHT Elevation Enhances Immune Eradication of Colon Cancer Metastases. Cancer Res. 2017 Apr 15;77(8):1880 – 1891.
- Maker, AV & Kunda, N: A Technique to Define Extrahepatic Biliary Anatomy Using Robotic Near-Infrared Fluorescent Cholangiography. J Gastro Surg. 2017 Nov;21(11): 1961-1962.
Find Dr. Kunda on PubMed here.
Visit Dr. Kunda's Instagram Page here.
Contact Dr. Kunda for a FREE consultation by calling our office at (516) 466-7000.